Re: QMail

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: QMail
Date: 2004-11-01 23:05:34
Lists: pgsql-general

tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de (Tino Wildenhain) writes:
> Am Sa, den 30.10.2004 schrieb Russell Smith um 8:02:
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:14 am, Eric wrote:
>> > Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails in
>> > pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?
>> >
>> > Or maybe it's not a good idea to do that?
>> >
>> > I think there is some adavantages...
>>
>> also look at http://www.dbmail.org/
>
> Do you know anything else? dbmail seems too much mysql
> centric while at least providing access to postgresql
> which is a pro. The storage of mails in big chunks
> seems less then ideal and you need clever views to
> get local part and host seperately.

I seriously question the merits of interfacing qmail with PostgreSQL;
qmail is "merely" an MTA, and is basically where mail would get
_queued_ until it is delivered to someone's 'mailbox.'

qmail isn't a 'mailbox manager,' so using PG as the data store for
qmail just doesn't seem sensible.

What _would_ seem sensible would be to use PG for the data store for
an IMAP server.

The most relevant one would seem to be Decimail:

<http://decimail.org/>

Decimail...

* Is an IMAP / SMTP email server.
* Uses a PostgreSQL database to store the messages.
* Defines mailboxes using SQL queries.

The way it handles mailboxes is very interesting...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html