Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in WORM devices

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in WORM devices
Date: 2005-05-11 22:47:13
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

juan(dot)paredes(at)gmail(dot)com (Juan Miguel Paredes) writes:
> I know it would be a hard approach but... perhaps ON DELETE and ON
> UPDATE triggers would help?

No, that's not even related to the real problem.

The problem is that the ability to have transactions is deeply
pervasive, and requires a writable store even though you don't imagine
you're doing updates to the data.

Version 8 probably moves this closer to reality with the addition of
tablespace support. Using that, you could take "finished" tables, and
put them into a particular tablespace. VACUUM FREEZE them to pretty
well eliminate the need to touch them again. Then take that
tablespace offline, turn it into a CDROM, and mount it back in the
same location.

If you do all that, and make the entire tablespace read-only, I could
imagine it sorta working. Though I wouldn't want to bet money on the
outcome, at this point...
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html