Re: what's best: opteron or xeon for pg 7.4.3?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what's best: opteron or xeon for pg 7.4.3?
Date: 2004-06-30 21:43:02
Lists: pgsql-general

rocaelh(at)yahoo(dot)com (Rocael Hernandez) writes:
> Hello all, I was wondering what's best for PG, since we have to
> decide what will be the new server for our DB, that will serve one
> or more websites.
>
> Our actual configuration is a dual xeon 2.8ghz with 4Gb ram + scsi
> disks, and works fine, though some intensive insert/update processes
> has taken it to 100% cpu use.
>
> Does using an opteron server has advantages against a xeon? I'm
> thinking in a dual opteron 248 with 4Gb ran + scsi...
>
> Suggestions and your experience on this is very welcomed!

You're sitting right at the point at which Xeon should be able to look
its best.

The *big* win of Opteron is in supporting >4GB of memory; doing that
is what starts making Xeon look _very bad_.

There's also an issue where spinlocks get to be troublesome on Xeons
with > 2 processors; you're again at the point where Xeon is at about
its best.

If you need anything more, then Opteron should be able to scale up,
while Xeon will more than likely slow down.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html