what's best: opteron or xeon for pg 7.4.3?

From: Rocael Hernandez <rocaelh(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: what's best: opteron or xeon for pg 7.4.3?
Date: 2004-06-30 19:23:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,
I was wondering what's best for PG, since we have to
decide what will be the new server for our DB, that
will serve one or more websites.

Our actual configuration is a dual xeon 2.8ghz with
4Gb ram + scsi disks, and works fine, though some
intensive insert/update processes has taken it to 100%
cpu use.

Does using an opteron server has advantages against a
xeon?
I'm thinking in a dual opteron 248 with 4Gb ran +
scsi...

Suggestions and your experience on this is very
welcomed!