Re: pthreads issue when compiling 7.4.8 on AIX 5.3 -- RESOLVED

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pthreads issue when compiling 7.4.8 on AIX 5.3 -- RESOLVED
Date: 2005-07-14 15:02:37
Lists: pgsql-ports

RMohan(at)arbinet(dot)com ("Mohan, Ross") writes:
> *thank you* !!
>
> Please keep us posted on socket bug progress, is that possible?

More news today...

"We have escalated PMR29657 and now have a resolution.

We have spoken directly with the lead developer of the socket.h header
files:

The immediate resolution is to alter _SS_MAXSIZE to = 1025 in
/usr/include/sys/socket.h (as was suggested by Chris Browne).

This will resolve the immediate problem.

IBM will be providing a fix in the next maintenance release with an
updated socket.h."

That differs a bit from what Bull suggested a while back, though I
wouldn't be surprised (and would be quite pleased) if the next AIX 5.3
maintenance release used some sort of calculated value rather than
1025.

In any case, s/128/1025/ seems to be the resolution to the problem,
for now. It'll presumably have the same effect for PostgreSQL 8.x
too.

I'm not sure if it's worth adding a test case into the PostgreSQL
configure script to watch for this issue; if it is, the following
would characterize the test...

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/un.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
int main (int argc, char *argv[]) {
struct sockaddr_storage a;
struct sockaddr_un b;
printf("Size of sockadr_storage: %d\n", sizeof(a));
printf ("Size of sockaddr_un:%d\n", sizeof(b));

if (sizeof(a) >= sizeof(b))
printf ("Conformant to RFC 3493\n");
else
printf ("Non-conformant to RFC 3493\n");
}

I suppose I should submit a patch to the AIX FAQ to reflect this
issue...
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html