Re: snapshot replication with pg_dump

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: snapshot replication with pg_dump
Date: 2006-08-11 18:07:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

plabrh1(at)gmail(dot)com (Paul Silveira) writes:
> Does anyone have any good examples of implementing "snapshot"
> replication. I know that PostgreSQL does not have snapshot
> replication and that Slony-I is the recomended replication senario
> but I've configured it and it seems rather advanced for a shop that
> is implementing PostgreSQL for the first time. I have an
> application that will be mostly reads and snapshot replication would
> probably be simple enough and would work. I was thinking about just
> using pg_dump to do the trick because the DB should not get very
> large. Does anyone have any advanced examples of doing something
> like this? Also, does anyone have any comments they'd like to share
> about this...

If your database is small, and your needs simple, then using pg_dump
to generate "snapshots" is a perfectly reasonable idea.

I suppose the primary complication is whether or not you have multiple
databases around on the cluster... If you don't, or if they all need
to be "snapshotted," you might consider using pg_dumpall, which also
creates users and databases.

If pg_dumpall is unsuitable, then you'll still need to grab user
information that isn't part of pg_dump output...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/postgresql.html