Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-11-09 22:03:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org> writes:
> Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>
>> It's hardly more difficult to start using PostgreSQL than MySQL. The
>> installation part is mostly the same. Regarding the query language
>> itself, the differences are small enough that it doesn't matter much
>> from a learning point of view.
>
> The difference is that PostgreSQL does not bundle as much
> functionality as MySQL does. Also the simple fact that you have
> plenty of choices in PostgreSQL makes it harder as you grow. This is
> why developers recommend other developers to use MySQL. Its not only
> easy to setup, but it will do what most of them expect even if they
> grow bigger. Like replication is in there by default etc.

Actually, can you be more specific about "does not bundle as much
functionality?"

That MySQL(tm) may have an "included with the server by default"
replication system where things are not identical with PostgreSQL is a
reasonable example.

But it seems to me that PostgreSQL otherwise offers a lot more, such
as having a bunch of stored procedure languages, by default, as well
as mature support for things like triggers, views, rules,
notifications, an extensible type system, 2PC, custom aggregates, and
such.

Perhaps I am looking wrongly at "bundled functionality;" what sizable
list of "bundled MySQL functionality" am I missing?
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/finances.html