Re: Database port changing issue

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database port changing issue
Date: 2006-06-09 14:22:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com ("Guido Barosio") writes:
> That's because your listen_addresses parameter points to localhost,
> and that means that your will listen for connections through unix
> sockets instead of via TCP/IP.
>
> In order to change this, you'll need to replace the string localhost
> with the proper value. (A bad habit, to replace the 'localhost' with a
> '*').
>
> Read the man page :)
>
> # - Connection Settings -
> listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP address(es) to listen on;
>
> # Would be something like:
> listen_addresses = '*'

We found that listen_addresses='*' turned out fairly badly on AIX
5.3...

When we did so, the stats collector wouldn't start up, and there would
be complaints about trying to open port 5432 multiple times.

This appeared to relate to IPv6; evidently, PostgreSQL would try to
open up a socket on both the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and this somehow
conflicted.

Interestingly, 'localhost' would also fall prey to this; evidently
that can be multiply interpreted in both IPv4 and IPv6. '

We had no difficulties when we set up a list of specific IPv4
addresses...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html