Re: pg_clog & vacuum oddness

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_clog & vacuum oddness
Date: 2003-10-29 17:57:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org (Jeff) writes:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:53:38 -0500
> DHS Webmaster <webmaster(at)dhs-club(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> We vacuum our working database nightly. Although this is not a 'full',
>> we don't exclude any tables. We don't do anything with template1
>> (knowingly), so we do not perform any maintenance on it either.
>
> Why not go through the list in pg_database to make sure you didn't
> forget about any (like I did).
>
> given that template0 and 1 rarely change.. I don't see why we'd need to
> vacuum them

template0 is probably set to 'not changeable' so that you can't even
log in to it.

template1 probably isn't hit a _lot_, but surely not "not at all." It
is accessed at such times as:

- When you run "createdb", data probably gets used from there to
populate the new DB.

- When you update user IDs, that's shared information likely to
"touch" template1.

You don't need to vacuum it often, but "seldom" is not quite the same
as "never."
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "libertyrms.info")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>