psql support for "DSNs"

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql support for "DSNs"
Date: 2004-07-22 15:04:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just had a thought; was looking at a script where I'd rather invoke
using psql than using a Perl module (since Pg/DBD that might very well
not be available on AIX, HP/UX, Solaris, or such).

What would be very nice would be for there to be a psql command option
that would accept a "DSN" as opposed to having to parse it all out
into pieces.

Thus:
psql --dsn="host=george port=5434 dbname=testing"

That way, I can use the very same DSNs that I have already put
together for use for numerous other purposes...

I can certainly work around this for my current purpose, but I still
think it would be a slick option to have. If I find Round Tuits, I'll
see about a patch...
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/oses.html