Standards conforming strings

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Standards conforming strings
Date: 2006-07-13 23:33:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I understand that we have an issue, with Slony-I, concerning the new
"standards_conforming_strings" option in 8.2.

Slony-I uses the "legacy" quoting conventions, which, such as it is,
is fine.

If a particular server is set to standards_conforming_strings=on, this
will presumably lead to certain bits of "breakage."

Is that a GUC variable that may be overridden in the fashion of
datestyles? (e.g. - inside Slony-I, we set DateStyle = USE_ISO_DATES
in those places where it's needful)

Could that variable be escape_backslash? (described in c.h...)

/*
* Support macros for escaping strings. escape_backslash should be TRUE
* if generating a non-standard-conforming string. Prefixing a string
* with ESCAPE_STRING_SYNTAX guarantees it is non-standard-conforming.
* Beware of multiple evaluation of the "ch" argument!
*/

e.g. - we might force non-standard-conforming via a code segment like...

{
int Oldescape_backslash;
Oldescape_backslash = escape_backslash;
escape_backslash = TRUE;
do some stuff...

escape_backslash = Oldescape_backslash;
}
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html