Re: Patch: Add parse_type Function

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Jones <jim(dot)jones(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: Add parse_type Function
Date: 2024-02-20 14:44:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 20, 2024, at 01:30, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> the second hint `-- grammar error expected` seems to contradict with
> the results?

Quite right, thank you, that’s actually a trapped error. I’ve tweaked the comments and their order in v7, attached.

This goes back to the discussion of the error raising of to_regtype[1], so I’ve incorporated the patch from that thread into this patch, and set up the docs for to_regtypemod() with similar information. The wording is still a little opaque for my taste, though, written more for someone who knows a bit about the internals, but it’s a start.

I’ve also fixed the wayward parameter in the function signature in the docs, and added a note about why I’ve also patched genbki.pl.

Best,

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/57E1FDDC-5A38-452D-82D7-A44DA2E13862%40justatheory.com#1ae0b11634bc33c7ad3cd728e43d504e

Attachment Content-Type Size
v7-0001-Add-to_regtypemod-SQL-function.patch application/octet-stream 10.2 KB