Re: Managing multiple branches in git

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date: 2009-06-02 23:44:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 2, 2009, at 4:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
>> Does that make sense?
>
> Maybe, but it still seems messy, brute force, and error-prone.
>
> I can't escape the feeling that we're missing something basic here.
> It's allegedly one of git's great strengths that it allows you to
> easily
> and quickly switch your attention among multiple development branches.
> Well, so it does, if you haven't got any derived files to rebuild.
> But rebuilding the Linux kernel is hardly a zero-cost operation,
> so how have Linus and co failed to notice this problem? There
> must be some trick they're using that I haven't heard about, or
> they'd not be nearly so pleased with git.

Yeah, it's a good question. Someone must know…

I tried an experiment with .gitignore and derived files in my pgtap
repository. I ran `make` to generate ignored files, then switched to a
different branch. The derived files from master were still there,
which is no good. Perhaps there's a way to have git ignore derived
files but store them for particular branches?

Best,

David