JDBC driver with JPA handling identities incorrectly

From: Stephen Nelson <stephen(at)eccostudio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC driver with JPA handling identities incorrectly
Date: 2009-08-27 12:01:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I created a thread for this at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1333596/postgresql-identity-in-jpa-single-table-hierarchy
which details the full environment and code I was attempting to run.

Briefly my environment is:

PostgreSQL 8.3
JDBC Driver postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4

This resulted in an error when using a JPA generation type of IDENTITY
in a single table inheritance hierarchy. The discriminator was a
String but was trying to be parsed as a long by the framework. For
demo purposes when using a String that was a parseable value e.g. 123
the error did not occur but the framework believed the discriminator
value was the primary key.

I switched the JDBC driver to postgresql-8.3-605.jdbc4.jar and the
problem doesn't seem to occur.

I'm running Java 6 so believed the latest driver to be the correct one
even though I'm not running the 8.4 server.

Please let me know if you need any further information or if I can
assist in fixing the issue.

Kind regards,

Stephen Nelson
stephen(at)eccostudio(dot)com