Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?

From: "vincent" <vinny(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?
Date: 2008-01-30 18:45:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> "vincent" <vinny(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
>>

>> Surely even a book that's a little out-of-date can serve fine for that
>> kind of introduction?

I guess the point is that using older books is the only option, there
simple are no uptodate books available. People who want to use a book (and
many do) are forced to learn PgSQL the way it was a few years ago.

>> regards, tom lane
>>

> The key here is that when it's up to you to
> "connect the dots" then you learn what the dots are, how they relate to
> each other, and what each of them is for.

True, but that only works for experienced 'nerds' who get a kick out of
connecting dots. Joe Average want's a bit more assistance, a bit more
guidance.

In short; I think PgSQL needs a beginnersbook, an advanced-nerdy book, and
a bible... oh yeah, we need a PgSQL bible, no doubt! :) Cookbooks are also
nice, but I guess from a growth point of view a beginnersbook is
definately a must-have.