Re: Please help: PHP4/postgres db woes

From: Danny O'Brien <dannyo(at)steinrogan(dot)com>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org> <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Please help: PHP4/postgres db woes
Date: 2004-03-08 16:55:17
Lists: pgsql-php

On Mar 7, 2004, at 2:59 PM, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 07:18, Danny O'Brien wrote:
>> Any postgre experts out there? We have a PHP4 site that worked fine
>> under a previous RedHat build, but we just can't get it working on
>> this
>> Debian build.
>
> We run heaps of PHP based sites on this codebase. If you want to
> upgrade to 7.4.1, Oliver Elphick (the Debian maintainer) has produced
> packages for Woody that we also use in some situations:
>
> deb http://people.debian.org/~elphick/debian/ stable main
>
> It seems most likely to me that your webserver is attempting to
> authenticate as www-data using 127.0.0.1 (rather than 'local' - i.e. no
> host spec in pg_connect) and that you are not allowing that in your
> pg_hba.conf, but the notes below do not give a lot of information to
> work from.
>
> Perhaps send the auth.php (with usernames / passwords munged), a
> "select
> * from pg_user" (ditto)
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew McMillan

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. Below is the contents of auth.php, per your
suggestion, if you feel like vetting the code. I'm not a PHP programmer
-- we've hired one to mod the site, but he seems incapable of
resolving the database issue. I'm responsible for getting the site
running. I've been able to do it before, under RedHat, but not this
time.

When I set up the database (named identically to the previous), I ran a
script called "create_tables.sql" that the original programmers gave
me. This presumably provided the db with all necessary columns.

I then followed that with a script called "fake_data.sql," also from
the original programmers. This script contains a series of logins and
passwords that correspond to the columns in the create_tables.sql. My
conclusion from these actions is that we should now have a functioning
database with usable logins and passwords.

Is there any way for me to crack open the database to make sure that
the columns, logins, and passwords are all positioned properly? Could
it be that the scripts named above did not function properly, and we
have what amounts to a non-functioning database?

**********************************
auth.php:

<?
include('dbconnect.php');
include('util.php');
include( 'login.php' );

if( $real_login )
{
$sql = "select fname, lname, password, admin_flag, client_id from usr
where login = " . xxxxx($real_login);

$result = pg_exec( $link, $sql );

if( $result && pg_numrows( $result ) == 1 )
{
$row = pg_fetch_row( $result, 0 );
$pw = $row[2];
if( $row[2] == crypt( $real_password, $row[2] ) )
{
setCookie( "srp_auth", "auth_login=$real_login&auth_password=$pw" );

$auth_user_name = $row[0] . " " . $row[1];
$auth_admin_flag = $row[3];
$auth_client_id = $row[4];

$sql = "update usr set last_login='now' where login=" . xxxxx(
$real_login );
pg_exec( $sql );
}

else
{
show_login( "<BR><B>We're sorry but that is incorrect. Please try
again.</B>");
}
}

else
{
show_login( "<BR><B>We're sorry but that is incorrect. Please try
again.</B>");
}
}

else if( $srp_auth )
{
parse_str( $srp_auth );

$sql = "select fname, lname, admin_flag, client_id from usr where
login = " . xxxxx( $auth_login ) . " and password = " . xxxxx(
$auth_password ) ;

$result = pg_exec( $link, $sql );

if( $result && pg_numrows( $result ) == 1 )
{
$row = pg_fetch_row( $result, 0 );
$auth_user_name = $row[0] . " " . $row[1];
$auth_admin_flag = $row[2];
$auth_client_id = $row[3];
}

else
{
show_login( "<BR><B>We're sorry but that is incorrect. Please try
again.</B>");
}
}

else
{
show_login( "" );
}

if( $auth_admin_flag == "A" )
{
$auth_admin_flag = "P";
}

if (isset($client_id) && $auth_client_id != 1 && $client_id !=
$auth_client_id)
{
show_login("Invalid data passed to form. Please log in again");
}

if (isset($category_id))
{
$sql = "select descr, client_id from category where id =
$category_id";
$result = pg_exec($link, $sql);

if ($auth_client_id != 1)
{
if (pg_result($result, 0, 1) != $auth_client_id)
{
show_login("Invalid data passed to form. Please log in again");
}
}

if (!isset($category_descr))
{
$category_descr = pg_result($result, 0, 0);
}
}
?>

Original post: