Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: niels(at)thinkiq(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12
Date: 2020-09-29 13:52:31
Lists: pgsql-docs

PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Compare:
> * https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/functions-json.html
> * https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/functions-json.html

> I know it is just my opinion, but the version 12 layout is easier to read
> than version 13.

IMO, table 9.47 (JSON Processing Functions) is pretty much the poster
child for why we had to redesign the table layout. In the old layout,
it's close to unreadable in any normal-size browser window, despite
wasting lots of whitespace and having large amounts of important info
shuffled off into "Note" blocks. The new layout is far more adaptable
to viewing windows that aren't full-screen-width; and the "Note" text has
all been merged into the table, so that you don't have to scroll down and
back to find all the info about a function.

I'll concede that it's a bit of a shock at first if you are used to the
old layout. But the developer community has been looking at this format
for six months or so now, and I think people grew accustomed to it fairly
quickly.