XA

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: XA
Date: 2005-09-28 03:10:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> Chris,
>
>> Two phase commit is a prerequisite for doing distributed transactions,
>> and XA is a particular standard to which the 2PC support does not, at
>> this point, conform.
>
> Eh? I was under the impression that XA was implemented in the JDBC
> layer, not in the backend.

There was an JDBC-based *attempt* at an XA handler; it wasn't fully
functional, which essentially means it wasn't really XA.

When the 2PC discussion was going on, it definitely came up in the
discussion that this was a prerequisite to doing XA properly. It
might not be forcibly necessary in the strictest sense, but 2PC is
certainly one of the normal means for synchronizing distributed
transactions...
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sgml.html