Re: pretty print viewdefs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pretty print viewdefs
Date: 2009-08-27 17:08:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am confused.

> The original two line addition was already in effect driven by the
> PRETTY_INDENT flag, because the appendContextKeyword call would be
> effectively a no-op if that flag wasn't on. But apparently some people
> don't want each column on a separate line, as I do, even when it's
> pretty printed, so, since that's what I want, I provided for it in a
> separate function, but I made the code take account of the cases you and
> Greg mentioned, where it already begins a new line for the column def.

What I was imagining was simply providing an additional pretty-print
flag that gives the alternatives of the current behavior, or the patch
you originally proposed that adds newlines between targetlist items all
the time. I don't think that you should complicate the behavior any
more than that.

Personally I would prefer the original patch to this one.