Re: FATAL ERROR

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: MichaelRoth(at)schmuecker(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL ERROR
Date: 2001-06-11 18:59:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Michael Roth" <MichaelRoth(at)schmuecker(dot)de> writes:
> Sometimes we got the following error-message:
> PostgresSQL query failed: FATAL 1: Socket command type 2 unknown

Curious. This seems to indicate that the backend has gotten out of sync
with the client, and is trying to interpret some data out of the middle
of a message as the start of a fresh command message. We used to have
some bugs that would let that happen occasionally, but I thought they'd
all been fixed as of 7.0.*. It would be useful to try to track down
what happens just before this message appears. Could you run with query
logging enabled (start postmaster with -d2, and make sure its stderr
output goes somewhere useful)?

> PSQL-Version: 7.0.2

I'd advise upgrading to 7.0.3 (or even 7.1.2, but 7.0.3 would be a
painless update). There are some nasty bugs fixed as of 7.0.3.
I don't think any of them explain this problem ... but I might be wrong.