Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-19 17:55:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

matthew(at)zeut(dot)net ("Matthew O'Connor") writes:
> 2) Once we can have multiple autovacuum workers: Create the concept of
> hot tables that require more attention and should never be ignored for
> more that X minutes, perhaps have one "autovacuum worker" per hot
> table? (What do people think of this?)

One worker per "hot table" seems like overkill to me; you could chew
up a lot of connections that way, which could be a DOS.

That you have a "foot gun" is guaranteed; I think I'd rather that it
come in the form that choosing the "hot list" badly hurts the rate of
vacuuming than that we have a potential to chew up numbers of
connections (which is a relatively non-renewable resource).
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/