Re: PG 8.3.3 - ERROR: lock AccessShareLock on object 16385/16467/0 is already held

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Milligan <milli(at)acmeps(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 8.3.3 - ERROR: lock AccessShareLock on object 16385/16467/0 is already held
Date: 2008-08-30 01:59:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Milligan <milli(at)acmeps(dot)com> writes:
> FWIW, I've used the exact same code against PG 8.2.6 and have half a
> dozen similar transactions that inserted more than 13.5 million rows,
> with the largest transaction at a little over 25 million rows inserted
> into the email table.

Hmph. That seems to eliminate the overflow theory, because 8.2 has
essentially the same lock-counting code as 8.3. Unless 8.3 is taking
out the lock a heckuva lot more than 8.2 did, but I can't think of a
reason for that to happen.

Now that we know you can reproduce it, we should think about how to get
some information out. Are you in a position to build a locally modified
Postgres? I could send you a patch to make that particular error report
dump out more information about the lock state, but a patch won't do you
any good if you aren't able to build from source.