Re: GSoC

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Anindya Jyoti Roy <anindyar(at)iitk(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: 2010-03-29 23:08:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Anindya Jyoti Roy <anindyar(at)iitk(dot)ac(dot)in> wrote:
> I want to implement a image database system: This will have the following
> quality:
> 1> will store image along with the other attributes
> 2> the database search engine will be able to search for image also
> 3> it will list the matching images in the order of degree of match.
> 4> in this matching system I will likely use the system of dividing the
> image into important parts and match them.
> 5> The database will also contain fingerprints, that may  be the primary
> key.
> 6> it will match the finger prints on the basis of the nodes and then making
> a bitmap of it and using the coordinates with some error it will match them
> 7> to include some accuracy in case of the angle of picture in case of
> search of equality we will introduce some logical amount of error.
> 8> this project can be coded by me as I have some previous experience in
> this type of project.
> 9> this will make a definitly good search engine as well as innovative and
> uncommon.

While you can certainly use PostgreSQL's extensible type system to
implement something like this, you'll probably need a good deal more
help and guidance from someone who is an expert on image matching
algorithms than you will from pgsql-hackers. But feel free to reach
out to this community for help with the PG bits.

Having said that, I wouldn't suggest submitting this as a GSoC
project. It sounds far too hard to be done well (or maybe even
poorly) in one summer. To be really useful, this would probably need
some kind of index support, maybe based on GIN. You're not going to
get that done by August even if you start now and don't sleep. Even
if you did, my guess is that this is the sort of thing that the PG
community would prefer to see maintained as a separate project that
integrates with PG, rather than a part of core PG.

See also:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-03/msg01034.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-03/msg01116.php

...Robert