Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)
Date: 2010-02-28 01:50:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Mark Kirkwood
<mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
> I'd also like to take the opportunity to express a little frustration about
> the commitfest business - really all I wanted was the patch *reviewed* as
> WIP - it seemed that in order to do that I needed to enter it into the
> various commitfests... then I was faced with comments to the effect that it
> was not ready for commit so should not have been entered into a commifest at
> all... sigh, a bit of an enthusiasm killer I'm afraid...

This might be my fault, so I apologize for killing your enthusiasm. I
think when I get wrapped up in a CommitFest (and especially during the
second half) I get wound up in determining whether or not things are
going to get applied and tend to give short shrift to thinks that seem
like they won't. My bad.

Generally speaking, I am always in favor of adding things to the
CommitFest, but I guess the one exception I would make is if there are
outstanding comments already given that haven't been addressed yet.
In that case it seems a little unfair to ask people to review it
further unless there are very specific questions you need answered. I
think you were good about communicating that the patch wasn't ready to
be applied yet, but I also think that it's to be expected that you'll
get less feedback while it's in that state.

Anyway, my apologies for turning you off to the process... that wasn't
my intent and I'm sorry that it had that effect.

...Robert