Re: Fast or immediate shutdown

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fast or immediate shutdown
Date: 2010-02-19 21:48:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > We *do* we mean?  And why are we logging it?
>>
>> The words after the colon refer to options sent to RequestCheckpoint and
>> it is logged because we asked for it by doing log_checkpoints = on.
>>
>> I suggest we say "smoothed" when checkpoint option is !immediate. So we
>> will remove the word "immediate" from the message.
>
> Did we decide not the change this?

Personally, my opinion is that if we're going to print the message at
all, the names used for the message should match the names used in the
code. So -1 from me on calling it immediate in the code but smoothed
in the message. On the other hand, I have no personal attachment to
that message, so if other people feel it's not needed at all, I could
see removing it.

...Robert