Re: Writeable CTEs patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Writeable CTEs patch
Date: 2010-02-08 20:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Marko Tiikkaja
<marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi> wrote:
>> Could we just write, e.g.
>> "non-SELECT statements are not allowed within a cursor declaration?"
>> Or we could say "INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements are not allowed
>> within a cursor declaration", but I'm thinking we may want to allow
>> things like COPY and EXPLAIN inside CTEs in the future, too, and
>> they'll presumably be treated similarly to DML.
>
> "INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE" is quite long and "non-SELECT" is a bit
> clumsy IMO.  But I don't really have anything better to offer, either.

Yeah, I don't feel good about "INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE" because in
most of the relevant contexts the list might get longer if in the
future we allow things like EXPLAIN and COPY within CTEs. I think
"Non-SELECT statement" is reasonably clear, though; people might not
know which things are statements, but the message implies that SELECT
is one such thing, and not the one that's the problem, which should
get them pointed in the right direction.

...Robert