Re: Streaming replication, and walsender during recovery

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication, and walsender during recovery
Date: 2010-01-28 17:09:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm keen to allow cascading in 9.0. If you pull both synch rep and
>> cascading you're not offering much that isn't already there.
>
> FWIW, I don't agree with that prioritization in the least.  Cascading
> is something we could leave till 9.1, or even later, and hardly anyone
> would care.  We have much more important problems to be spending our
> effort on right now.

I agree. According to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hot_Standby_TODO , the only must-fix
issues that remain prior to beta are (1) implementing the new VACUUM
FULL for system relations, and (2) some documentation improvements.
It's a little early to be worrying about docs, but shouldn't we be
trying to get the VACUUM FULL problems cleaned up first, and then look
at what else we have time to address?

As regards the remaining items for streaming replication at:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication#v9.0

...ISTM the most important issues are (1) fixing win32 and (2) adding
a message type header, followed by (3) fixing pg_xlogfile_name() and
(4) redefining smart shutdown in standby mode.

If we fix the must-fix issues first, we can still decide to delay the
release to fix the would-like-to-fix issues, or not. The other way
around doesn't work.

...Robert