Re: quoting psql varible as identifier

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: quoting psql varible as identifier
Date: 2010-01-22 04:34:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2010/1/21 Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> add to state structure field like lexer_error. This field will be
>>> checked before execution
>>> it could be ugly for metacommands, there will be lot of new checks :(
>>
>> Eh?  The only places where we should need new tests are the places
>> that check PQExpBufferBroken() now - there are only 6 calls to that
>> function in src/bin/psql and not all of them need to be changed.  The
>> places that do need to be changed will need to be modified to check
>> PQExpBufferBroken() || lexer_coughed_up_a_lung.
>
> no, it is only 6 calls because we don't check psql_scan_slash_option result.

psql_scan_slash_option() already has a way to signal errors - it can
return NULL. Type any backslash command followed by a single quote...

I'm not saying I love the way those errors are handled, but if we make
this patch about revising the way psql does error handling, this is
not going to get committed for this release... what we need to do is
fit what we're trying to do into the existing model.

...Robert