Re: parallel regression test output

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parallel regression test output
Date: 2010-01-19 00:49:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On sön, 2010-01-17 at 23:54 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I always assumed that it was printing the names as the tests finished,
>> probably because of the way the output is staggered.  If they were
>> printed when the tests were started, the list would be printed all but
>> simultaneously.
>
> Well, as long as someone expects it to be that way, then I guess that'd
> be OK.  I am concerned about an inconsistency with the serial tests that
> go
>
> test foo ... <pause>ok
>
> whereas with the parallel tests don't give any indication what test has
> started.

I always thought of the words "parallel group (x tests)" as being
parallel to printing "test foo ..." -- though admittedly that doesn't
give you specific information about which tests are starting at which
time. We certainly could design some system where we signal
beginnings and ends of tests, but I'm not sure it's worth cluttering
the output. Ordinarily I suspect they all go so fast that it doesn't
matter much.

...Robert