Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Date: 2010-01-09 22:51:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>>> Use a vpath build, and you'll keep those artifacts out of your source tree.
>
>> I suppose that's one answer, but of what use is it to ignore only the
>> 'make distclean' leftovers?
>
> Well, it fits my workflow, which is make distclean -> cvs update ->
> fresh build.  If you want to update without cleaning the build tree,
> using a separate build tree seems like a much better answer.

Oh, I see. With git, I clean the tree with "git clean -dfx" rather
than "make distclean". That just blows away all the files that aren't
in the repository. I find that faster and more reliable than "make
distclean", although of course you have to be careful not to be leave
anything in the tree that you were planning to hold on to...

...Robert