Re: damage control mode

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-08 02:41:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> This strikes me as quite premature. Heiki just said he expects to have SR
> committed next week.

Getting it committed is not what I'm worried about. What I'm
concerned about is Tom's statement that he believes that HS is not
close to being in a state where it is stable enough to go to beta, and
the possibility that other large patches committed during this
CommitFest might have similar issues.

> Maybe we need a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or at least
> its front cover
> (<http://myhodgepodge.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/hitchhikers_guide_to_galaxy.jpg>)

I like to save my panicking for things that are worth it, which the
PostgreSQL release schedule is not. But I do think that is worth an
honest discussion of what is possible. Do you feel we can commit six
large patches in the next month, stabilize all of them plus Hot
Standby, and put out a release in June? If not, would you prefer to
slip some patches or slip the schedule?

...Robert