Re: New VACUUM FULL

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New VACUUM FULL
Date: 2010-01-04 15:31:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> This is a more cautious approach. Completely removing VFI in this
> release is a big risk that we need not take; we have little to gain from
> doing so and putting it back again will be harder. I am always keen to
> push forwards when a new feature is worthwhile, but cleaning up code is
> not an important thing this late in release cycle.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on whether we
should remove VFI this release cycle, but I thought the reason why
there was pressure to do that was because we will otherwise need to
make changes to Hot Standby to cope with VFI. Or in other words, I
thought that in order to wrap a release we would need to do one of (1)
remove VFI and (2) fix HS to cope with VFI, and maybe there was a
theory that the former was easier than the latter. But it's possible
I may have totally misunderstood the situation. What is your thought
on how to handle this?

...Robert