Re: pgstat wait timeout (by Robert Schnabel)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alexey Luchko <luch(at)ank-sia(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgstat wait timeout (by Robert Schnabel)
Date: 2009-12-17 02:16:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> On 16/12/2009 11:55 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Magnus Hagander<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
>>  wrote:

>>> If that is so, the OP should follow:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Windows
>>>
>>> specifically the part about symbols.
>>>
>>> Which it certainly looks like :)
>>
>> We should really take some of the vast quantity of really useful
>> information that is in the wiki and try to index it somehow or
>> incorporate it into the docs.  I'm always learning about new pages
>> that have good stuff on them, but I never seem to stumble across them
>> organically.
>
> MediaWiki offers features to make this a lot easier. The categories feature
> in particular is great: go to the page:
>
>   Category:Blah
>
> and you'll see a listing of all pages containing a link to
> [[Category:Blah]]. The existing list of all categories can be found via the
> "special pages" link in the sidebar:
>
>  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Special:Categories
>
> A "favourite" or "highlight" category would be one way to do what you're
> talking about.

I don't think that's it exactly. What I think would be really useful
is a page that is linked off the main page or some other reasonably
prominent place that lists useful resources by topic. I guess the
category interface could do that if it were maintained, but just
"which pages are good" is not quite what I had in mind.

...Robert