Re: Range types

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>, hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Range types
Date: 2009-12-16 17:42:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> There's one problem, and that's for timestamptz ranges with intervals
> that include days and months. Timezone adjustments are just not
> well-defined for that kind of granule (nor would it be particularly
> useful even if it magically worked), so this would have to be blocked
> somehow. I think that's a special case, and we could provide the user
> with a nice error message telling the user to use a date or timestamp
> range instead.

This seems like a fairly special-purpose type. You'd be targeting it
at people who are very concerned with storing large numbers of these
(so they really care about space consumption) but for some reason
don't need to mix days and months (actually, the current interval
representation stores days, months, and seconds separately). I
certainly think this might be useful to some people but it doesn't
really sounds like a general range type facility, since it seems to
involve some hacks that are fairly datatype-specific.

...Robert