Re: ProcessUtility_hook

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ProcessUtility_hook
Date: 2009-12-10 02:15:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Why does this patch #ifdef out the _PG_fini code in pg_stat_statements?

Where you check for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE return codes in
pgss_ProcessUtility, I think this deserves a comment explaining that
these could occur as a result of EXECUTE. It wasn't obvious to me,
anyway.

It seems to me that the current hook placement does not address this complaint

>> 1. The placement of the hook.  Why is it three lines down in
>> ProcessUtility?  It's probably reasonable to have the Assert first,
>> but I don't see why the hook function should have the ability to
>> editorialize on the behavior of everything about ProcessUtility
>> *except* the read-only-xact check.

...Robert