Re: patch - per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch - per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost
Date: 2009-12-03 16:00:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM, David Rowley <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Robert Haas Wrote:
>> Hmm.  I'm not able to reliably detect a performance difference between
>> unpatched CVS HEAD (er... git master branch) and same with spcoptions-
>> v2.patch applied.  I figured that if there were going to be an impact,
>> it would be most likely to manifest itself in a query that touches lots
>> and lots of tables but does very little actual work.  So I used the
>> attached script to create 200 empty tables, 100 in the default
>> tablespace and 100 in tablespace "dork" (also known as, why I am
>> working on this at 11 PM on Thanksgiving).  Then I did:
>>
>> SELECT * FROM a1, a2, a3, ..., a100;
>
> (I've not read the patch, but I've just read the thread)
> If you're just benchmarking the planner times to see if the extra lookups
> are affecting the planning times, would it not be better to benchmark
> EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM a1, a2, a3, ..., a100; ?
> Otherwise any small changes might be drowned out in the execution time.
> Scanning 100 relations even if they are empty could account for quite a bit
> of that time, right?

Possibly, but even if I can measure a difference doing it that way,
it's not clear that it matters. It's fairly certain that there will
be a performance degradation if we measure carefully enough, but if
that difference is imperceptible in real-world scanerios, then it's
not worth worrying about. Still, I probably will test it just to see.

...Robert