Re: Timezones (in 8.5?)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hernan gonzalez <hgonzalez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timezones (in 8.5?)
Date: 2009-11-17 15:48:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM, hernan gonzalez <hgonzalez(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to (is anybody working on) implement better
> timezone support in postgresql
> for 8.5 ? Specifically, store the timezone info -instead of just the
> timestamp as UTC ?
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Dates_and_Times

You might want to use the word "different" rather than the word
"better", because the current behavior is quite useful and I think
many people would be unhappy if it were to go away.

I think there's also some debate about whether we want this at all. See here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg00964.php

One random thought - I am not aware that we currently have a "time
zone" type in which to store a time zone in. Is there any value in
having such a thing vs. just using varchar?

...Robert