Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-26 17:24:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>  What am I missing here?
>
> You're still attacking the wrong straw man.  Whether the file contains a
> lot of commentary by default is NOT the problem, and removing the
> commentary is NOT the solution.

Wow, not only am I attacking a straw man, but I'm attacking the wrong one. :-)

I'm not sure whether you're saying that I'm bringing this issue up in
the wrong thread, or whether you disagree with the basic suggestion.
If it's the former, I'm prepared to concede the point and will start a
new thread. If the latter, you took the opposite position here.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-08/msg00835.php

I think the questions of what goes into the default postgresql.conf
files, the include-dir mechanism, automatic tuning tools, and SET
PERSISTENT are all closely related, and if you think otherwise, I
don't understand why, but would appreciate an explanation. Elsewhere
on this thread, you suggested dumping the initdb functions into a
mostly-empty persistent.conf file that would be read after
postgresql.conf. If we did that, then we would presumably advise
people not to set settings in postgresql.conf because of the
possibility that they would be overriden in persistent.conf, which
begs the question of why we need two files at all.

...Robert