Re: Hot Standby, max_connections and max_prepared_transactions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby, max_connections and max_prepared_transactions
Date: 2009-09-04 13:26:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Simon Riggs<simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 22:22 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> > I propose we just accept that both max_connections and
>> > max_prepared_transactions need to be set correctly for recovery to work.
>> > This will make the state transitions more robust and it will avoid
>> > spurious and hard to test error messages.
>> >
>> > Any objections to me removing this slice of code from the patch?
>>
>> Umm, what slice of code? I don't recall any code trying to make it work.
>
> Well, its there. Perhaps the full functionality has been clipped in
> recent changes, but there are still unwanted ramifications in the design
> that I think would be best to remove. No loss of functionality, just HS
> won't activate unless max_connections is set >= value on primary.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the work that I did, but if so
it's not nearly that significant. I haven't done anything much beyond
some code cleanup. Hopefully you're planning to keep that part, as it
would be a shame if I had done it for nothing. Can't wait to see the
revised patch.

...Robert