Re: Archive Message-Id links broken?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Archive Message-Id links broken?
Date: 2009-08-31 14:06:53
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Greg Stark<gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Alvaro
> Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I'm mildly surprised to learn that this is unintentional...  I use it
>>> semi-regularly as a way of getting a shorter and more legible URL for
>>> a message in the archives.
>>
>> I guess we could provide both.  I vaguely remember someone asking how to
>> get this URL some time ago.
>
> The message-id url is far more useful generally. It's guaranteed not
> to change if we reprocess the mail archives -- even if we change mail
> archiving systems altogether. More importantly it can be used to track
> down the message even if the mail archives are down or inaccessible.
>
> The msg02010.php style url is what you get from our search engine or
> index listing. I didn't think it was hard to get these urls. How are
> you *not* getting one these urls in the first place?

Well, typically what I do is find the message by searching my gmail
account, extract the message ID, and use that to construct an
archives.postgresql.org/message-id/ style link.

You may ask - why do I search my gmail account rather than searching
for the message in some other fashion? Well, because that's what I've
found tends to work the best. YMMV.

...Robert