Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Williamson <gwilliamson39(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications
Date: 2009-07-31 23:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Stephen Frost<sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> KaiGai,
>
> * KaiGai Kohei (kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp) wrote:
>> Stephen Frost wrote:
>> > Strategy for code changes:
>> >   Patch #1: Move permissions checks currently implemented in other parts
>> >             of the code (eg: tablecmds.c:ATExecChangeOwner()) into
>> >                     aclchk.c.
>> >   Patch #2: Change the aclchk.c function APIs, if necessary, to add
>> >             additional information required for SELinux (eg: the 'old'
>> >                     owner).
>> >   Patch #3: Add SELinux hooks into aclchk.c functions.
>>
>> Thanks for your idea. However, it seems to me this approach eventually
>> requires bigger changeset than what the current security hooks doing.
>
> Yes, it almost certainly will.  However, this is really the approach
> that I think we need to take.  I think what we're beginning to
> understand, collectivly, is something that some of the committers, etc,
> have been saying all along- implementing SELinux in PG requires alot
> more changes to PG than just sprinkling hooks all over the code.  This
> is because we want to do it right, for PG, and for our users.
>
> What this means is that we need to improve the PG code first.  Then,
> when we're happy with those changes, we can add the SELinux hooks and be
> comfortable that they will operate correctly, do what they're intended
> to, and also allow us to extend the system further for the "next big
> privileges thing", if that happens some day.
>
>> In addition, it cannot solve the differences in behavior due to the
>> security model on which they stand.
>>
>> For example, when we create a new table, the native database privilege
>> mechanism checks its permission on the schema object which the new
>> table blongs to. On the other hand, SELinux requires to check
>> "db_table:{create}" permission on the newly created table itself.
>
> That's fine.  We implement a function in aclchk.c which is essentially
> "pg_createTablePriv(schema,newtable)".  The logic for doing the check is
> moved out of tablecmds.c (or where ever) and into that function.  We can
> then easily add to that function the SELinux hook.  Is there some issue
> here which I'm not seeing?  If so, can you please clarify?
>
> Also, I don't see "db_table:{create}" in the documentation anywhere.
> There is a "db_schema:{add_name}", is that what you're referring to?
> How would you check the permissions on an object (and how or why would
> they be different than the default, unless that's also being handled at
> the creation time) which is in the process of being created?
>
>> In my understanding, the purpose of the design specification is to make
>> clear for database folks what the security hooks doin and why the security
>> hooks are deployed here.
>
> I don't think we're going to have much buy-in or success sprinkling
> these hooks all over the PG source code.  It would make maintenance a
> real problem for the PG folks and for those of us trying to work with
> [...]

FWIW, pretty much +1 from me on everything in here; I think this is
definitely going in the right direction. It's not the size of the
patches that matter; it's the complexity and difficulty of verifying
that they don't break anything. And it's not cumulative: three easy
patches are better than one hard one, as long as they're really
self-contained.

The idea of restructuring the aclcheck mechanism to support sepgsql
is, IMO, brilliant.

...Robert