Re: dependencies for generated header files

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dependencies for generated header files
Date: 2009-07-29 13:28:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Peter Eisentraut<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 June 2009 21:21:35 Robert Haas wrote:
>> I think that our dependencies for generated header files (gram.h,
>> fmgroids.h, probes.h) are not as good as they could be.  What we do
>> right now is make src/backend/Makefile rebuild these before recursing
>> through its subdirectories.  This works OK for a top-level make, but
>> if you run make further down in the tree (like under
>> src/backend/commands) it won't necessarily rebuild everything that it
>> should.
>>
>> The attached patch moves some of this logic from src/backend/Makefile
>> to src/Makefile.global.in.
>
> Have you tried putting them in src/backend/common.mk?  That might be a better
> place.

No, I haven't. I can look at that at some point, but I'm a bit backed
up right now.

> Also, modulo that change, do you think it would be OK to apply this patch now
> while the other patch about header generation is under discussion?  Or would
> that create a complete merge disaster if we ended up going with some variant
> of the header generation patch?

Well, since this one is only an 83-line patch, I don't think it will
be too bad. Of course if committing this gets you excited about
overhauling the Makefiles and you decide to change a bunch of other
things too, that might be more of an issue...

...Robert