Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 12:04:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Greg Stark<gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Waiting until September for the first CommitFest seems like a really
>> bad idea.   We already have almost 40 patches on the wiki page, and
>> there are some that haven't been added yet: I suspect we will have
>> over 50 in another week, and maybe closer to 60.
>
> I would like to propose a different strategy. Instead of always
> tackling all the smaller patches and leaving the big patches for last,
> I would suggest we start with Hot Standby.
>
> In fact I would suggest as Hot Standby has already gotten a first pass
> review that we consider applying it on day 1. That gets it into
> everyone's development trees so they can see any suspicious code or
> effects it has in their peculiar environments. It may not be perfect
> but if we apply it now there's plenty of time to make improvements.
>
> Then we can have a regular commitfest a month or so later. Hopefully
> any followon changes to Hot Standby would actually get into that
> commitfest if they're relatively minor.

If Hot Standby were ready to be applied, I would be all in favor of
that, but in fact I don't believe that's the case. There's been no
movement on Hot Standby since February, or at least nothing on the
mailing list and no changes to
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=simon.git;a=summary

My recollection is there was some discussion of whether Simon was even
prepared to put any more work into that patch or leave it others (in
particular, Heikki) to finish. I think we had better resolve the
question of who is going to finish that patch and when they plan to do
it before we start planning our CommitFest schedule around it.

...Robert