Re: plperl error format vs plpgsql error format vs pgTAP

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Field <kevinjamesfield(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plperl error format vs plpgsql error format vs pgTAP
Date: 2009-05-29 15:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Kevin Field <kevinjamesfield(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > That's the other option, if the pgTAP author is willing...if the
>> > SQLSTATE thing doesn't work out I guess we'll have to go down that
>> > road.
>>
>> Patches welcome. ;-)
>>
>>    http://github.com/theory/pgtap/tree/master/
>>
>> I'm getting a new version ready to release as I type.
>
> Thanks, great to know.  :)  Although, I do think changing plperl is
> the more proper option, so I'm going to try there first...

It seems to me that removing line numbers from PL/perl error messages
is not a good solution to anything. Line numbers are extremely useful
for debugging purposes, and getting rid of them because one particular
testing framework doesn't know how to use regular expressions is
solving the wrong problem.

I'm also a bit confused because your original post had a line number
in the PL/pgsql output, too, just formatted slightly differently. Why
doesn't that one cause a problem?

...Robert