Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Denis Lussier <denis(dot)lussier(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, Koichi Suzuki <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Toru SHIMOGAKI <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Zdenek Kotala <zdenek(dot)kotala(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-05-27 16:04:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> In what way do you consider the tags "broken"?
>> The tag applies to different commits on different files.
> That's perfectly valid for CVS (and can be represented in subversion as
> well). Such a tag cannot (easily) be converted to git, though (nor
> mercurial or monotone), where tags are attached to a single commit.
[...]
> You (as well as myself, BTW) seem to think of a tag like something
> that's attached to a single commit.

I think this is a semantic argument. The problem isn't that we don't
understand how CVS behaves; it's that we find that behavior
undesirable, aka broken. If we really care about having a tag that
contains the exact files that are tagged in CVS, we can create a
branch from one of the commits involved, and then apply a commit to
that branch that places it in the state that matches the contents of
the CVS tag. AIUI, this is not very different from what you'd have to
do in Subversion, where a tag is a branch is a copy.

...Robert