Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues
Date: 2009-03-23 11:34:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Greg Stark
<greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Why do you need any explicit syntax? If the database is loading an SQL file
> as a result of a LOAD MODULE command wouldn't it know to set whatever
> internal state it needs to remember that?

That might not be the only time you ever want to create dependencies
on the module object. What if the module wants to create an
additional table, view, etc. at some later time, following the load?
I'm not sure whether there's a use case for that, but it doesn't seem
totally implausible.

...Robert