Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sergio Lopez <sergio(dot)lopez(at)nologin(dot)es>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle
Date: 2009-02-20 19:35:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

> First of all, you need to do some research on the benchmark kit itself,
> rather than blindly downloading and using one. BenchmarkSQL has significant
> bugs in it which affect the result. I can say that authoritatively as I
> worked on/with it for quite awhile. Don't trust any result that comes from
> BenchmarkSQL. If you fix the bugs, Oracle (out of the box in OLTP config)
> will come out 60%.

60% what?

> Oracle comes out twice as fast as PG on Linux. And, unless you're using a
> significant number of warehouses, MySQL+InnoDB will come out better than PG
> as well.

I can believe that MySQL could come out faster than PG because I've
had previous experience with it being blindingly fast. Of course I've
also had experience with it having amazingly poor data integrity. I
would be pretty surprised if Oracle were in general twice as fast as
PG - what are they doing that much better than what we're doing? I
could certainly imagine it being true in cases that rely on specific
features we lack (e.g. join removal)?

...Robert