Re: GIN fast insert database hang

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN fast insert database hang
Date: 2009-02-12 03:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm going to try to reproduce this, but here's approximately what I did.

OK, I've managed to build a reproducible test case. Initial setup is
just as I had before:

> create table foo (id serial, x int[], primary key (id));
> create index foo_gin on foo using gin (x);

Then just start these two commands running in different windows and wait:

while true; do psql -c "explain analyze select sum(1) from foo where
array[1] <@ x"; done
while true; do psql -c "insert into foo (x) select array[(random() *
100)::int, (random() * 90)::int, (random()*80)::int] from
generate_series(1,100000);"; done

I did this four times, sometimes with the variant of adding "set
enable_bitmapscan to false;" before the explain analyze. In three
cases the database recovered succesfully after the immediate shutdown;
in the other case, it crapped out much as described in my original
email.

...Robert