Re: autovacuum and reloptions

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum and reloptions
Date: 2009-01-11 02:33:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here is the patch that replace pg_autovaccum catalog with reloptions. I
> refactored the reloptions.c to support multiple parameters and made the
> action of adding a new option an easy task. I'm testing it yet, so don't
> expect it to work properly. I'll prepare docs as soon as I finish the
> tests. Do i have to prepare some regression tests?
>
> I don't provide a pg_autovacuum view as suggested by Itagari-san [1] but
> if others agree that we need it, I will work on it. I don't if we need a
> function (wrapper around getRelOption()) to get an option from
> reloptions array.
>
> I add an ugly-hack to \d+ foo. IMHO, it'll be good to know what options
> are used by table/index foo (we already do it for oids) but I'm not
> happy with my suggestion.
>
> I move RelationGet*() functions from rel.h. That's because we need some
> knowledge that's only in reloptions.c (getRelOptions). But I want to
> avoid including reloptions.h at some files.
>
> Comments?
>
> PS> don't forget to remove include/catalog/pg_autovacuum.h

Several things related to this patch have been committed:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20081219143958.6F2DD7563FE@cvs.postgresql.org
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20090105171428.77B29754A17@cvs.postgresql.org
(and several follow-on commits)

What still remains to be done for 8.4?