Re: QuickLZ compression algorithm (Re: Inclusion in the PostgreSQL backend for toasting rows)

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Douglas McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, lar(at)quicklz(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: QuickLZ compression algorithm (Re: Inclusion in the PostgreSQL backend for toasting rows)
Date: 2009-01-05 19:55:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> Regardless of whether we do that or not, no one has offered any
>> justification of the arbitrary decision not to compress columns >1MB,
>
> Er, yes, there was discussion before the change, for instance:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-08/msg00082.php

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere in that
email where it suggests NEVER compressing anything above 1MB. It
suggests some more nuanced things which are quite different.

> And do you have any response to this point?
>
> I think the right value for this setting is going to depend on the
> environment. If the system is starved for cpu cycles then you won't want to
> compress large data. If it's starved for i/o bandwidth but has spare cpu
> cycles then you will.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg00074.php

I think it is a good point, to the extent that compression is an
option that people choose in order to improve performance. I'm not
really convinced that this is the case, but I haven't seen much
evidence on either side of the question.

> Well the original code had a threshold above which we *always* compresed even
> if it saved only a single byte.

I certainly don't think that's right either.

...Robert